How We Ensure Student Wellness
The notable societal and economic strains of our current ‘Covid’ environment have highlighted the need for mental wellness support in our schools. Summerhill has investigated different options in this regard in order to facilitate the accessibility, support and flexibility our students may need in terms of getting the correct professional psychological support at this time as part of their school offering.
Students under 12 require parental permission and consensus for any interventions deemed necessary. Summerhill has a referral process to ensure these phases of our school receive the support they need.
For students 12 years and older
Kaelo-Ask Nelson Student Srogramme
Currently, Kaelo supports our staff complement and their direct families. Summerhill has experienced over three years of success with this programme in terms: Counselling (telephonic, virtual, and face-to-face); Coaching (leadership, life, parent, career); Workplace trauma intervention; Financial and legal advice and Road Accident support.
Online App Support Services
- Unlimited telephonic counselling, unlimited Virtual Counselling and Virtual On-site Face-to-Face Counselling where necessary.
- This benefit provides unlimited telephonic access to Counselling, health information and education from registered health professionals. This psychosocial service is available 24 hours per day, seven days a week, 365 days a year and in all 11 official languages. The Kaelo Lifestyle | Student Support Counsellor will treat and keep all information confidential and will not, without the disclosing party’s written consent, directly or indirectly communicate or disclose (whether in writing or orally or in any other manner) confidential information to any other person other than in accordance with the terms of this Agreement or the spirit thereof.
- Confidentiality is never breached through the Kaelo Lifestyle Programme unless there is reasonable evidence of: Risk to self (suicide), others (homicide), to the health and safety of a child and damage to property.
- Available to assist with issues such as stress, anxiety, depression, addictions, relationship problems, abuse, rape, trauma, bullying, subject and career choices.
1. Trauma Intervention- Benefit provides telephonic and virtual support to Members who experienced traumatic incidents in event of a work, school or university trauma – related incident.
- Financial Advice benefit, in partnership with a financial services provider, provides education, guidance and support around how to manage finances successfully: budgeting, registering for a tax number, insurance, and Personal Assessment and Financial Health Ratings.
- Legal Support: the Legal Advice benefit, in partnership with a legal services provider, aims to provide support to Kaelo Lifestyle | Student Support members around elements such as understanding the impact of signing contracts and road accident cover.
- Guidance to individuals to help them acquire the knowledge, information, skills and experience necessary to identify career options, and narrow them down to make aCareer decision. Career Coaching is done telephonically or virtually by qualified Coaches in the Clinical Consultant team.
Kindly note that the legal position is governed under the Children’s Act 38 of 2005 (which replaced certain provisions of the Child Care Act of 74 of 1983).
Section 129 of the Children’s Act states the following:
A child over the age of 12 may consent to their own non-invasive medical treatment (e.g. psychological counselling) without a parent or guardian, provided that the child is of sufficient maturity and has the mental capacity to understand the benefits, risks, social and other implications of the treatment.
If the child is under the age of 12, or over that age but does not possess the maturity or is unable to understand the benefits, risks and social implications of the treatment – then the parent or guardian will have to assist the child in consenting to the treatment (subject to the child’s views and opinions also being taken into consideration).
In the case of invasive / surgical treatment, the child would always require the assistance / consent of a parent or guardian.
The AskNelson student support programme can therefore extend to children from the age of 12.
All POPIA regulations have been met by the providing company.
COME AND VISIT
M-F: 8am – 3pm
011 468 1414
Cnr. 8th and 10th Roads
Noordwyk Erand, Midrand,