PREPARATORY RELIGION AND ETHICS
Summerhill is a non-denominational school.
Our policy is to respect the religions beliefs of others and ensure tolerance and understanding between all religious groups. Religious requirements and holidays are respected and complied with.
The spiritual domain is regarded as highly important in the child’s development and as there are different affiliations, the religious or spiritual education of students is regarded as the province of the home. All Summerhill families can feel secure in the knowledge that the integrity of their beliefs and practices will be upheld in the school environment.
As far as personal ethics is concerned, we have a non-religious ethical programme, consisting of key concepts, namely:
- Take care of yourself
- Be temperate
- Don’t be promiscuous
- Love and help children
- Honour and help your parents
- Set a good example
- Seek to live with the truth
- Do not murder
- Don’t do anything illegal
- Support a government designed and run for all the people
- Do not harm a person of good will
- Safeguard and improve our environment
- Do not steal
- Be worthy of trust
- Fulfill your obligations
- Be industrious
- Be competent
- Respect the religious beliefs of others
- Try not to do things to others that you would not like them to do to you
- Try to treat others as you would want them to treat you
- Flourish and prosper
These are studied in a way which is age-appropriate
The Summerhill student is an individual of integrity and honour. Both our Junior and Senior Codes of Behaviour embody this concept, with emphasis on positive behaviour at school.
“We do not act rightly because we have virtue or excellence, but we rather have those because we have acted rightly.”
Aristotle 384 B.C. – 322 B.C.
Greek philosopher & scientist, student of Plato & teacher of Alexander the Great